Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Decorator's Block

I have been wanting to have black furniture for awhile now. Like for 4 years. I've also been wanting to get rid of this huge desk I got 5 years ago for work. I thought I wanted a corner desk, and it has been really nice with work and with Sean in school to have all the extra desk space, but it is just too big for our small office. But I've lived with it. But I said when Sean was done with school, I was done with the desk. So I took it apart and got rid of it! Here's the before pic of the old office. My mom happened to have an extra desk at her house. Cool. My Great Uncle Johnny actually built it. I was actually very close to his wife, Aunt Alice, and have a few other things that were theirs. Very cool. But remember I have been wanting black furniture? So I got the cool desk from my mom and painted it black. Perfect. I also painted my two filing cabinets black. I love the way it turned out. The room is sooo much bigger now. 
(Ignore the white cable cord behind the chair--I'm working on fixing that problem)
But now the problem is, what should I do for a curtain? I painted the old curtain rod black as well and took down the old curtains. And I need to do something with the chair. I reupholstered the chair when I first got it from my sister. Now it doesn't match the black furniture. I know I want to add some color in there to compliment the black. Maybe some yellow and black fabric? Thoughts? 

6 comments:

Natalie said...

I have a couple of ideas. You could do either a cool green fabric or go with red, or you can do a cool black and white or all black and add color with a throw pillow. Sorry, all those came at me at once. I'm a fan of green, but is can get old. Red or black will look good.

Castle Family said...

Is the chair black too?? I can't tell. I'm really liking Damask right not. You could do black and white Damask with red ties and a red throw pillow for the chair.

Jessica said...

it's blue right now

Jen said...

I love the black desk! Looks really nice and it really does open up the room!

I like the yellow and black idea. Go for it.

Emily said...

looks nice! I think anything but blue and brown would look awesome--how 'bout orange?! halloween!

Spencer and Marlee said...

That looks really good!! Your so creative and have a nice touch with decorating!