Sunday, September 6, 2009

timing is everything

Sean is working in Phoenix now and is also now working nights. His hours are 8:30pm-6:30am. As of Thursday of last week he had not been home earlier than 10am. I had a job interview at 9am. I had a backup plan to have my mom come over to watch Carter if Sean wasn't home on time. At 7:30, Sean text me to say he was about to leave work. I called my mom at 7:32 and informed her, her services were not needed this morning. At 7:45, I got in the shower and proceeded to get ready. At 8:40, I found it odd that Sean wasn't home yet. I went to my phone and saw I had several messages. One was at 8:00, one was at 8:05, and another at 8:15. All messages from Sean, informing me he wasn't going to make it home, and wondering why I wasn't responding to his messages. At 8:41, I text him to make sure he was being serious (he's kinda crazy like that sometimes, jokin' with me all the time). Unfortunately, he was serious. At 8:43, I now had no choice but to throw some clothes on Carter, throw his Top Ramen (a very nutritious breakfast, right?) into a tupperware container, and head to the interview. At 8:58, I explained to Carter that I was meeting someone and needed him to be very quiet while I talked. I then waited at an outside table, very nervously, for the man I was meeting to show up. At 9:03 he appeared and gave me a double look as he cautiously asked if I was by chance Jessica. I put on a big smile and said yes, and that I brought some back up with me. At 9:35, the appointment was done, and I thanked him for being such a family oriented person! (Carter sat quietly and ate his noodles the entire time).

Sean was home at 9:20.

oh, my multi-tasking skills of feeding a child, watching over a child, and holding a business meeting at the same time must have stood out, because i got the job! and in case you were wondering, or even if you weren't wondering i am still going to tell you: it is a part time job working with the same school district i am already working with part-time through PLATO, teaching teachers to use technology in their classrooms.

5 comments:

Andrea J said...

Congrats! So two part-time jobs add up to a full time job right? Man, you are tough. Keep it up dude.

Jessica said...

it'll actually just work out to be once a week with each job

Emily said...

holy moly! i can't believe you got the job! you must be a great interview (and carter must be a very good kid). i was looking at wedding rings in an office-type setting last week and i had to get the kids in trouble at least 20 times (and the mean old lady did it even more than that, even though all they were doing was laughing, albeit loudly). congratulations!

Sandi and Curtis said...

Congrats! But I thought you were going to NOT work so hard now? Aren't "Angel Days" (kids being good when you need them to be) wonderful!

Val said...

You are awesome! I would have just cried if I had to bring my kids!