Saturday, July 19, 2008

Revenge of the Mouse?


Remember this? Well, I think our little friend came back for revenge. Rewind to about 3 weeks ago...the story goes something like this:

Jessica: Wakes up at 4am to catch a flight for work, goes into the closet, sees something with 4 legs and a tail run across the floor. Jessica wakes Sean up and says, "I saw a mouse in our closet."
Sean: No you didn't, it's 4am, you're seeing things.
Jessica: It was a either a mouse or a lizard but I saw something
Sean: put a towel in front of the door, I'll look at it when I wake up

Later that day...
Sean: I looked in the closet and there was nothing there
Jessica: Well, I know I saw something

A day later...
Sean: Notice anything funny about this bag of bread? Look closely
Jessica: There's a hole chewed through it with small bites in the bread!! Gross!
Sean: I found some mouse droppings in the pantry by the bread. I think we may have a mouse in the house.
Jessica: You think so!?!

The next few nights...we left mouse traps out but no takers. Until one night Sean decides to put towels over the mouse traps and then clean them up in the morning because we obviously aren't going to catch it this way. The next morning there is blood on the towel, the mouse trap has gone off, the peanut butter that was on the mouse trap is gone, and yet there is no mouse!

Jessica: You mean to tell me we now have a wounded mouse in our house? Nice.

The next night...sound asleep; drool and all (yes I drool, don't judge me, at least I don't snore!) 

Jessica: (wakes up screaming and jumps out of bed, as she runs to the other side of the room) I've been bit, I've been bit!
Sean: What?!? (he jumps out of bed too-having no clue what is going on)
Jessica: I've been bit by the mouse! 
Sean: Where?
Jessica: On my arm (I look where I knew I had been bit yet I have no physical marks on my arm whatsoever).   Ok, so maybe I wasn't bit, maybe I was dreaming; but I swear I felt something on my arm.

Sean starts looking in our room. He shakes the curtain and yells--there's a mouse! 
Jessica jumps onto the dresser in one leap. 

Sean: Go get a bucket!
Jessica: (gets the bucket and takes her place back on the dresser) Get that thing outta here!

Sean moves the dresser and the mouse runs out. Sean tries to catch it but it is way too fast. It runs out of our room and right under the door into Carter's room.

Jessica: Get Carter out of there-now. 

Sean gets Carter out and Jessica lays Carter in another room. The mouse is behind Carter's dresser. 
A plan is devised to close all the doors and put towels in front of the doors so the mouse can't go in any other rooms. 

Sean: I'll move the dresser and you catch the mouse.
Jessica: NO,  I'll move the dresser and YOU catch the mouse. 

The dresser is moved, the mouse runs out (that sucker is FAST). The mouse runs, confused by the towels, it turns in circles, Sean puts the bucket over it. It is captured. Sean and Jessica are proud of their capture; but did not think their plan all the way through. 

Jessica: Now what? 
Sean: I don't know. 
Jessica: I'll get some cardboard to slide under the bucket. 
Sean: (slides the cardboard under the bucket--the tail gets stuck and Jessica screams). Now what do we do? Let's put it in a bag to get rid of it. (the mouse is now transfered to a big plastic bag.)
Sean: It's kinda cute. Let's keep it to show Carter in the morning. 
Jessica: What kind of CRAZY are you? Let's get rid of it. (we go outside)
Sean: You might want to go inside for this (quietly disposes of the mouse) 
Jessica: I can't sleep in there now. We have to wash the sheets.
Sean: You don't even know if the mouse was ever even on you--you were probably dreaming the whole thing and it was coincidental that it was actually in our room. 

Needless to say, it took about a week before I was sleeping well in my room again. 

17 comments:

Emily said...

I'm DYING! SOOOOOO funny. I wish I could've seen the antics! And...ewww! Gross! Did Carter wake up?!

Andrea J said...

Sorry sucka, I don't like rodents either. I would have had trouble sleeping too.

Mendy said...

That is a crack up! It sounds like a scene from a cartoon or something. I don't think I'd be able to sleep well for a while either and I'm right with you on washing the sheets... mouse bite or dream bite... still washing the sheets!!

Kimberly said...

That is so crazy! I would have died. Honestly, I do not do well with moving, crawling things in my house. Even small bugs and spiders. A bird flew in our house in MN and I made Matt come home from work to catch it and get it out. I FREAK out over those type of things. Glad you got it.

Jessica said...

No Carter didn't wake up. I couldn't believe, because both Sean and I were seriously yelling.

Burton Family said...

that is sooooooo gross!!!! I'm glad you recovered in a weeks time, though. I wonder how it got in in the first place?!

Jessica said...

I have no idea! The only thing we can think of is one night we were in the hot tub and left our back door open because it was a nice night. It's pretty disgusting.

Natalie said...

So funny!! You need a dog because my dog Pippin was digging and digging on the side of our house for a few weeks (in the same spot I just kept filling it back up) and it would take us forever to get him inside. One night Justin went out to get him and he yelled for me to come out. There on the flag stone was a dead mouse. Pippin had dug it out of it's hole and somehow got it and killed it. Needless to say I am greatful he had already killed it because that would be the worst part I think. (and I wouldn't have slept in the sheets either). I made Justin dispose of the mouse as well. I have another one too. On my mission we had a mouse in our apartment in Palau and we had to catch it ourselves, so we used the sticky mouse trap. It caught him under our oven. So we had to get it out from under it and then none of us would kill it so we threw it out our window (it was dark) and let nature take care of it from there.

Sarah said...

Creepy! I would have had to shower too - just in case!!! You're brave - I couldn't handle that. I'm itchy just thinking about it!!! :)

Spencer and Marlee said...

That is a great story! Even though Spence and I have heard it we read it again laughing hard!! Congrats on killing the sucker!

christina said...

I was laughing so hard too, absolutely hilarious! I am glad you got it taken care of...so disgusting.

christina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Naughty Newbee's said...

OMG!! I am laughing my head off the is so FUNNY! I can totally see you Jess and Sean in the middle of the nite doing all of this. That was a great story!

Trogdon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trogdon said...

Jessica you are a great story teller...I can tell that's exactly what happened.

Karin said...

That was hilarious! Good read!

Stef said...

HA HA! Man, sounds like a typically exciting time at the Klips! Dang we miss you guys... it's good to remember how entertaining you are!