Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Don't open your presents early!!

I saw this on a friend's blog and thought it was a great analogy for this time of year. I think I often want to have everything figured out so I can plan or prepare or just know what may or may not happen. And now especially, with Sean leaving for 7 months I am finding myself anxious to know what the future holds for us. But I will be much better off if I have faith and take life one day at a time.

"Christmas Presents and a Lesson on Lifeby Hilary WeeksI have many wonderful Christmas memories and one not so wonderful Christmas memory. It was the year I spoiled the surprise. I couldn't help myself. It happened when I was about 17 years old. Everyone was gone so I had the house to myself. With Christmas only a few days away, the presents were piled high under the tree. I had looked to see if there were ample gifts with my name on the tag, and sure enough, there were plenty. As I passed by the tree, the gifts seemed to call, "Open me...open me!" What was a girl to do? Well, I'll tell you what this girl did at least...I took every single present up to my room. I shut the door. Then I carefully removed the tape and wrap from each package and peeked inside. An outfit from my mom. Pajamas from my grandma. (Like that was a surprise.) A new journal. And a several other thoughtful, wonderful gifts. After I finished re-wrapped the gifts, the guilt and regret set in. "Why? Why did I do that!? I just ruined Christmas! Now there would be no surprise Christmas morning!" Let me tell you, it was not worth it. I have experienced other things that were "worth it" such as, eating that third piece of blueberry cobbler with ice cream. Now, that's worth it, but opening your presents two days before Christmas definitely was not. Sometimes, now, I wish I knew what was ahead in life - if I could just see around the bend, even just a couple of days or weeks. Sometimes I would really like to know what the future holds. But I guess that would spoil the surprise. So, even when I'm feeling anxious about days to come I need to trust, not try to figure out or fret, I just need to wait and open the gift of each day, one at a time." ~by Hillary Weeks

1 comment:

Emily said...

I didn't know it was seven months! That's a long time! I would want to know about the future in that case too. You guys are tough and awesome. No need to worry about anything! Merry Christmas!