Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Try Athletes


Did you know that I am famous? Well, I am. I was once quoted in the New Era; June of 1996 to be exact. The stake I grew up in holds Youth Olympics each year. There are many events from track-n-field, baking, sewing, ping-pong, to scholastics. One year I won first year in baking (that cake was soooo good-I'll have to post the recipe sometime), I entered a quilt I made once but it didn't win anything. Our ward volleyball team won first place one year and that was a major highlight. My last year in youth olympics I decided to try public speaking. Everyone sat in the same room and waited for your turn, then 5 at a time you were called into a room where you were shown the topics and then you had 20 minutes to write a talk. Then you were taken into the chapel, which was packed full, and delivered your speech. I still remember my topic: "tell about an ancestor who influenced your life." I spoke about my grandma and how she picked me up at school with her curlers in her hair. And I even won 3rd place. I wish I had tried it in the years past. My brother Spencer and I did pretty good at ping-pong doubles, getting 3rd place one year. I wish I had done the bike race, seeing as how I do so many triathlons now; that could have been some good practice. But my favorite events by far were the track-n-field. I don't want to brag but I was pretty speedy back in the day. One year, a New Era writer came to do some reporting. She met with me after a race at the track and I was quoted in the article.


"Jessica Forsberg, a 16-year-old whose talents shine brightest on track-and-field events, sums it up best. Still breathless from a race, she says, “When you cross that finish line, even if you didn’t win, you feel like you’ve succeeded. Winning isn’t everything; it’s just for fun.”


Pretty profound for a 16 year old, eh?


Click here for the entire article.

9 comments:

Emily said...

you ARE famous! and popular!

Anonymous said...

pretty impressive Jess...I don't remember you being in the New Era!!!

christina said...

I'm sure you were famous way before you were in the New Era!

Can you please post the cake recipe. Is it the one you made for Easter one time? Either way, it sounds delish!

Cami said...

That's so cool! I wish I was in the New Era! And yes, very profound for a 16 year old. :)

Jessica said...

I think I did make it for Easter that one time Christina. I will totally post the recipe sometime soon!

Val said...

Totally popular. I can imagine myself as a young 16-year-old reading this exact quote in the New Era and thinking to myself, "I wish I could be roommates with this incredibly talented, popular, and famous girl someday."

Jessica said...

Val--you're dream came true and you didn't even know it!!

Natalie said...

Hey, I was there and you have a picture of my mom, but not me!?! What's up with that? I do remember that race and do you remember who your rival was? Do you remember how upset she was when she lost to you? Those were the days. I remember that volleyball year. It was so major that we won. Everyone thought our ward was the underdog,but we showed them.

Jessica said...

That's weird Natalie-I don't know why your mom is in the picture and you're not!