Monday, November 10, 2008

Food Storage

One of my New Year's Resolutions for 2008 was to work on building up our 3 month food supply. I have done a pretty good job at it and am happy about where we are at right now. However, this food storage thing has presented a major problem in my life. I have NOwhere to put it all. If there is anything I dislike about my house, it is the lack of storage. I have the tiniest pantry I have ever seen! (See picture below). Unfortunately, when we bought our house 5 years ago, I was not thinking, "this pantry does not look like it will hold a lot of food." You can bet I will be thinking that when we buy our next house! So I have had to become creative here recently. A couple of weeks ago, I was able to empty out one cupboard to put food in. This is major, because I also have hardly any cupboard space in my kitchen. I was pretty impressed with myself. 
But today, I have impressed myself even further. I have a linen closet right off of my kitchen that I thought I might be able to clean out an extra shelf to put some food storage on. I got started, and cleaned out every shelf!! I threw some stuff away that was in there, gave some stuff away, and found other places for the rest of the stuff. And notice it's not even full. I have room to grow. Also notice the steam canner on the bottom right--my family got this for me for my birthday this year and I am so excited. The empty shelf is where I plan on putting all the things I can. I just ordered a bunch of apples so first up is applesauce and apple pie filling and then onto salsa!! I am totally getting into canning and loving it!
So, I need ideas! What do you like to can--or what have you tasted that was canned and was really good? 

9 comments:

Emily said...

that is so great jess, good for you! you should go to ellen's house. she literally has food storage in every room of the house. it's EVERYWHERE. stuff stashed all over the place. it's awesome. i put our 200 pounds of flour under noah's crib, because our condo just doesn't have space for that kind of thing. but i actually put lots of our canned things in the cupboards above the fridge and microwave. you can't reach it so you don't use it (or i don't anyway) so it's the perfect spot.

The Davies Family said...

You are awesome! Way to go, I know what you mean about NO storage..mostly I just keep it in boxes in the basement..not so great! But I did go to Target and buy some cheap shelving and put it at the bottom of my stairs for things I don't need right away..it works pretty good, but now that you pointed that out about the small pantry..you can bet when it comes time for us to buy a home again..storage will be high on the list!
I have no idea what is good to can..tomatoes? I do like those when they taste fresh..I have never canned before..let me know how it goes

Becky said...

Well I have a huge basement with tons of space to store food, i have nothing!!!! I joke that I have decoration storage but no food storage. so,thanks for inspiring me Jess! Your so cute by the way.

Steph and Keith said...

Way to go Jess! I've recentely done some rearranging myself to accomadate food storage! Under the boys double bed I have 66 #10 cans of wheat! Also, at Bed, Bath and Beyond they sell bed risers. I plan to get some for under the twin bed and do the same there. I figure under the bed is a good place for #10 cans full of food with a 20-30 year shelf life. Anyways, good luck with it all!

christina said...

Very impressive!

Maybe you could give me/us some good ideas and recipes? Since you're so great at it!

Anonymous said...

I'm so impressed...can you come to my house???

Natalie said...

I hate my storage space too. My pantry has really deep shelves, but everything gets lost at the back. Plus it isn't big enough.

russandkatie said...

lookin good Jess!

Natalie said...

Um, where is all your ketsup? I mean, you have like 6 bottles of syrup you might need some ketsup too. Do you still eat it with your scrambled eggs?