Tuesday, October 2, 2007

A day (or two) in the life of a Working Mother...

Yesterday: Woke up at 5:30AM for 4 mile run
Worked (answered emails, administrative tasks, etc...) until 7:30 when Carter woke up
Had breakfast with Carter and got him ready for the day
Worked again until 9:30 when Sean had to leave for school
Took Carter on a quick walk and Played with him until his nap at 10:40
Showered/packed/worked/did a load of dishes/took out the trash/did a load of laundry and got ready to leave on my business trip
Woke Carter up at 2 so we could pick up my rental car
Tried to mail letters with Carter for work at FedEx Kinkos--apparently they only ship packages
Dropped Carter off at my sister's house and then went to the post-office
Drove 5 hours to Gallup, New Mexico to my hotel---got pulled over on the way there
While on the road I made calls to clients and to doctor and dentist to reschedule appointments due to work/home schedule for the 4th time---I don't think they are very happy with me
Worked at the hotel until I went to bed at 11:00

Today: Woke up at 5:00AM for 10 mile bike ride
Had breakfast meeting with colleague at 7am --didn't have time to change so I was in my gross sweaty clothes with no make-up---embarassing!)
Got ready and left for 1 hour drive to the school
I stopped to get gas first and to grab a lunchable--I am going to the middle of nowhere and will have nowhere to eat
I drove in fog and on dirt muddy roads (only thought I was going to get stuck twice)
Arrived at the school only to find out the principal forgot I was coming and wasn't there
Met with the teachers briefly in their classrooms
Sat in the computer lab the rest of the day (snacking on my lunchable)and printed out reports for the teachers and made assignments for the student's based on their test results.
While printing out reports I answered emails from clients and defended my schedule to my boss--no I cannot fit in anymore visits to schools this month!
Met with the teachers again to show them what I had done all day
Left the school and drove again on the dirt roads--not so muddy anymore and not foggy
Called to check on Carter---no cell phone service all day
Drove for 3 hours until I got to the next hotel in Winslow, AZ to find out they don't have a gym---how can I do my running tomorrow?
Collected Visiting Teaching Numbers from the Supervisors to turn in my report(I am the VT Coordinator)
Currently taking a break before I start on my long list of work items to do tonight
I'll call to say goodnight to Carter, work some more, and do it all over again tomorrow.


I'm tired...maybe I'll take a quick nap...

10 comments:

Em said...

I hope you like your job. That just doesn't sound like much fun at all.

Jessica said...

I really do like my job. It doesn't sound like it here...it just gets crazy during my busy season which is August-October.

Emily said...

that makes me want to cry. how do you do it? i feel like i have so much to do every day and i don't work AT ALL outside the home! you rock.

Kelly(M&M) said...

I am impressed with your committment to exercise, especially with a job. Way to go! (Your post made me tired, by the way.) I would love to do a triathlon someday, but honestly, I am afraid of bikes. :-)

christina said...

You deserve a BIG nap!

Anonymous said...

You're living the american dream! Keep up the good work!

Val said...

The one and only time I've ever been pulled over is when you were in the car with me. Maybe you're just bad luck with cops!

Jessica said...

i forgot about that val! i have pictures of the cop in my scrapbook. i didn't get pulled over for speeding though. i got pulled over for driving too close to the car in front of me but it really wasn't my fault---the guy in front of me merged onto the freeway and i had to slow way down to let him in and so it looked like i was tailing him. but i didn't get a ticket so no biggie!

Andrea J said...

Ahh Jess! You are an allstar. Way to keep it up, (I have to admit that I'm a little jealous of being able to run and bike. I'm down to 2 miles and no road biking). Keep up the good work - Sean and Carter are lucky to have you.

Spencer and Marlee said...

WOW!! You are good! I am very impressed with your dedication to working out! I am not that dedicated! I actually have not done much for the tri. The stairs are my worry! YIKES! Well keep up the good work! I am sure Sean and Carter appreciate you and your hard work in everything!