Saturday, June 14, 2008

Tweenlight Fan Club

I was on my beloved Southwest Airlines Flight yesterday evening trying to make it home from California. I boarded and found my seat, a nice aisle seat with someone who looked nice enough but not too chatty sitting by the window. The crew had just made an announcement that this was a full flight and to take the first seat you saw. A woman in the aisle looks at the middle seat open next to me and then looks at me. I ask if she would like to sit there and she says, "Actually, would you mind moving over there (points at another seat) so my husband and I can sit together." (I was a little shocked to hear this request, I was already settled into my seat, this was only an hour flight and she was in her 40's. It's not like she was being separated from her 3 year old). I kindly reply, "So you want me to give up my aisle seat for a middle seat so you can sit together." The strange woman says, "Well yes, if you don't mind." I reply, "Well actually I do mind, but I'll do it." The strange woman says, "Oh no, don't worry about it." I reply, "No, no, let me get my stuff."  I proceed to move over to my new middle seat and the woman sitting in the aisle says she will scoot over to the middle, I nicely reply, "no, there is no need to inconvenience everyone." Maybe I had had a really long day and was already on edge (I had 35 people come to my training even though I told the school twice that 15 participants was our max. I had major crowd control issues all throughout my training) because I am not normally a confrontational person. I usually think of the perfect line to say back to someone about 15 minutes after the moment has passed. So 1. Yes I was nice and moved for her but 2. I said what I wanted to say (without being too rude) to really tell her that it was a little ridiculous for her to ask me to move (I mean, come on seriously, you can't be separated from your husband for 1 hour?-maybe you shoulda checked in earlier so you coulda boarded in the A group to pick better seats). 

But now onto the better part of the story. So I end up sitting next to this girl who looks about 12. She looks a little scared and is obviously flying by herself. I decide to start making some conversation with her. I happen to be holding my book I am reading (The Host by Stepahine Meyer), she asks if I like Stephanie Meyer. I do and so does she. The conversation proceeds and goes something like this with the other girl doing most of the talking: 

12 year old: "Oh my gosh, I love Twilight, it was so awesome. I totally could not put the book down and I don't even like to read. I read all 3 books like so fast. There are a group of us girls at school that sit together and 5 of us like Edward and 5 of us like Jacob. And we totally argue about who is better. It is so cool. I like Edward. I can't wait for the movie to come out. I have so many pictures on my phone. (proceeds to show me pictures). Here's one my friend cropped of Bella to show what she will look like when she chooses Edward. See how pale her skin is. It's so cool. I have pictures of the Cullens too. I think I will read all the books again before Breaking Dawn comes out but not until school starts again because I really don't like to read. When I was reading New Moon and Edward wasn't in it for so long I was like dying and I said to my friend when does Edward come back and she told me and I almost died making it that far."

I realized that I had so much in common with this girl (except for sitting at a lunch table with other girls arguing over Edward and Jacob). We both loved the same books. And then I realized, I am "totally" into these books that a bunch of tweens are raving about. Apparently, I just joined the Tweenlight Fan Club! 

4 comments:

Mendy said...

Your nicer than I.. I don't think I would have moved! Your not only one thats in the Tweenlight fan club! Those were some good books!

Emily said...

I just finished the host tonight, what did you think of it?

I love Jacob. I. WILL. DIE. if she chooses Edward and becomes a vampire in the end. Jacob is sooo the better choice.

Sarah said...

Sorry, Edward is totally cooler. Jacob is just a kid, and Edward has years of wisdom on his side. Maybe Stephenie Meyer will introduce a mummy in the next book. Or a lovable Loch Ness Monster? :)

The Davies Family said...

hahaha welcome to the tweenlight fan club..first lets get started by doing the 'I love Edward oath' followed by the 'I love Jacob one' then we'll eat some cookies and drink some punch and then we'll argue who is better.
Not going to lie to you.. I also like the books and i am waiting..anxiously for Breaking Dawn to come out.