Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Name Game


My sister-n-law Katie had this post on her blog and I really liked it so I thought I would keep it going. She asked how did you come up with the name for your children? We only have one kid so far and we didn't know what we were having. We had lots of girls names picked out but couldn't agree on a boy's name. We had a rule that if one of us didn't like the name suggested by the other we just said "Veto!" and that was that. Well, there were lots of "Vetoes" going on for the boy names. I really liked Tyson but Sean didn't, yada, yada, yada. We knew if it was a boy it had to sound good with Thomas because that is Sean's middle name. If it was a girl we really liked Reagan Alice (my friend Bree from college had a sister named Reagan and I instantly loved the name when I met her) (Alice is my great-Aunt's name that I was really close to). We also liked Madison Jo (I think Maddy is soooo cute and Jo is my middle name). So we were set on those two girl names throughout the pregnancy but were still unsure about a boy's name. Then one day I realized that both Madison and Reagan are US President's names. So I started looking at other President's and saw Carter. I instantly loved it and mentioned it to Sean--finally there was no "Veto!" So then obviously, we had a boy and Carter Thomas it was. It has always fit him from day one. 


So how did you come up with your kids' names?

6 comments:

Val said...

My brother thought of Claire's name. Ella's name just came to me one day. Not too exciting.

russandkatie said...

I love it! Thanks for keeping it going :)

Emily said...

hmmm....didn't you know that i planned on naming my kids after us presidents my entire life? too bad dave doesn't like any of those names so we didn't do it, so i guess it's okay if you do! heh heh heh. i loved lincoln, reagan, kennedy, madison, and bush. okay, maybe not bush.

we planned on naming isaac "ty". we couldn't agree on anything. i liked ethan and that was our plan, but when he was born he just didn't look like an ethan. dave had thrown out isaac when we were going over names during my pregnancy and an hour or so after he was born i go, "he looks like an isaac." that was it.

noah is named after dave. (his first name is david). i have also loved the name noah for a few years and it goes well with isaac, but dave did NOT like it. then when i couldn't have an epidural and his birth was SO painful, dave said "you can name him whatever you want, i can't believe you just did that." so david noah it was!

Jessica said...

Emily--after I realized that I was picking out President's name I remembered that we had a conversation about it I think our Freshman year. Glad you don't mind that I stole your idea! But we probably won't do President's names for the rest of our kids.

The Davies Family said...

We got Parker from a boys name..but I really liked it and wanted her to stand out a little..it worked! she's her own self.
Mason came after my husband and I were eating at a restaurant in Logan and the assistant manager came over to meet us. His name was Mason and we thought..hey next baby..
Hudsyn..now this one is different..no its not after the Hudson bay in New York. Its actually after all the hype over Jennifer Hudson..well I was listening to Entertainment Tonight and they (as in true broadcaster fashion) would refer to her as 'Hudson' well after hearing it over and over it kind of stuck and I thought,'hmm, that's kind of cute, but not for a boy..we need it for a girl to be unique." Weird, I know. Wait till you hear what our next boy's name is going to be....

Jessica said...

Lex--I totally thought you named Hudsyn after the Hudson River. I'm glad I know the real story. It's very cute!