Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Mom of the Year



**yes, he is wearing my clothes in the picture. He wanted to wear my "biking clothes" for our biking expedition**

I have not been grocery shopping since the end of December (I am not counting the one quick trip I made for bread and milk). Other than that quick stop, I literally have not been grocery shopping until today. It's been great. The only reason I went today is because the husband is coming home tomorrow and I thought he might like some food when he gets here. With all the money I saved from not shopping, I bought myself a trainer. This is something to put my bike on to make it stationary. Supposedly, I am doing a bike race next Month but I have only been able to bike once now that the husband is gone. I set it up tonight and Carter got on his bike and rode for a few minutes while I rode mine. Great mother-son activity, right? Well it only lasted a few minutes. Carter then asked for an ice cream cone, said he was tired from the ride and needed a treat. How could I pass that up? I made him an ice cream cone and got back on the bike. After a few minutes I glanced back at him only to notice that the ice cream cone was knocked over on the table and he had the carton of ice cream at the table with the ice cream scoop happily eating away. And like any good mother, I asked what he was doing. To which he replied, "I can't do it, I need to try again" as he took another bite. So without another thought I let him continue eating from the carton while I rode my bike. Afterall, I thought, wow I've taught him really well, he keeps trying if he doesn't succeed the first time; he should be rewarded. I finished my biking and then his cone.

12 comments:

Emily said...

HI-larious. seriously. favorite post ever.

Jen said...

I love that you just let those kind of things go and you don't worry about them. I'm gonna need to call you a lot when we have our baby so you can tell me to chill!

russandkatie said...

the things we mothers do to get in a good workout!

Sarah said...

That is hysterical. Enjoy your husband being home. :)

Val said...

That's awesome! Hope you have a fun weekend with hubby.

The Davies Family said...

Totally mother of the year! And from one mother of the year to my successor..I congratulate you for your training of your son to keep trying when he feels he can't!
Dang nice trainer..I need one of those..I am trying to find a staionary bike since I hurt my knee somehow *but its not really injured..just sore and tired? so I can keep training for a race in March and May..yeah March isn't looking so good at this point.

trublubyu said...

props for all your efforts!

i hope you are enjoying your time with sean!

Steph and Keith said...

Hey, whatever it takes to minimize the interuptions during a workout, right Jess?

Jenny said...

You need to get some aero bars and an aero drink! Also, think about raising the seat and lowering the handlebars/inverting the head tube. You'll get so freaking aero that you won't even have to pedal! Thats what I learned from my cycling coach named.... DANTE!

Jessica said...

I totally want aero bars. I've gotta talk to Dante!

Jenny said...

this is pretty much what you need. I totally forgot that you also need aerospokes and a disc wheel in back.

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/Cervelo-P3C-2008/lg/016_Cervelo_P3C_2008.JPG

Jessica said...

Thanks yo!